Which Types Of Implant To Choose From?
Just as there are many reasons why a woman may choose to have a breast augmentation in Toronto, there are also several types of implants to choose from. The best type of implant for the surgery will be determined by a number of circumstances, and your surgeon will make a recommendation based on your personal goals, age and other factors.
Manufacturers are constantly working to make improved implants for better appearance and consistency while reducing the chances of complications. The types of breast implants are categorized by the material that they are made from as well as their shape and texture. The following is an outline of the types available.
Types Of Material For Breast Implants
- Saline breast implants – This type of implant gives the patient a uniform shape and firmness, although they don’t feel as natural as silicone breast implants. There is also a higher rate of visible rippling with this type of implant. The implant shell, which is made of silicone, is filled with a sterile saline mixture that is easily absorbed and expelled by the body should the shell happen to leak and collapse.
- Silicone cohesive gel breast implants – Filled with cohesive silicone gel, these implants will feel more like your own natural breasts. Unlike saline implants, the shells of silicone implants will not collapse if they leak. Leakage is uncommon unless there is some reason for them to leak, such as a motor vehicle accident. An ultrasound or MRI can determine if the implant shell is broken.
- Form stable (gummy bear) implants – Form stable or gummy bear implants are made with a thicker silicone gel that holds it shape and does not leak even if there is a break in the shell. These implants have been shaped for a natural appearance (tear-drop), but are firmer feeling. If they rotate inside the breast pocket, however, they look unnatural. Insertion of this type of implant will require a larger incision during surgery.
Shapes and Textures
- Round implants – Round implants can be sized for your body such that you can get a very natural, proportionate appearance, or if you so desire, a fuller rounder appearance. These implants are therefore the most versatile. Since round implants have a uniform shape on all sides, there is also less concern that they might shift or rotate out of place.
- Smooth implants – The softest of the implants, smooth implants allow for natural movement of the breasts.
- Textured implants – Textured implants are the least likely to move around inside the breast pocket because the texture allows for scar tissue to develop around it, holding the implant more firmly in place.
Are You Considering Breast Augmentation?
If you are considering breast augmentation, it is important that you discuss your options with your surgeon to determine the best type of breast implant for you. No matter which implant you choose, it is important that you seek out a qualified cosmetic surgeon who can deliver great results and provide the necessary follow-up care and monitoring. The Edelstein Cosmetic clinic in Toronto specializes in helping women improve their appearance and boost their confidence through breast augmentation surgery. Call us today to schedule your consultation.