Injectable fillers are products that add volume to facial contours. Also known as dermal fillers, the current market leaders are Juvéderm® and Restylane®.
Juvéderm® and Restylane® are manufactured by two different medical companies (Allergan and Medicis) but share many similarities, including price. Both are based on the therapeutic benefits of purified hyaluronic acid, derived from non-animal sources, which means that there is no risk of an allergic reaction or transmission of disease.
Juvéderm® and Restylane® address the following aesthetic concerns affecting the face:
- Forehead creases
- Under eye hollows
- Hollow cheeks
- Lack of definition of the nose tip
- Nasolabial folds
- Insufficient lip volume or asymmetry
- Vertical lip lines
- Marionette lines (creases extending from the mouth to the chin)
- Undesirable chin contour or jawline
- Deep acne scars (pockmarks)
A session with either takes about the same amount of time, and many patients find that great results are achievable by either.
So, why do some patients and medical professionals prefer one over the other? Well, it all comes down to 5 key differences.
Juvéderm® versus Restylane® – 5 Key Differences
- Clinical trials have shown that a single session of Juvéderm® lasts about 9 to 18 months, and Allergan claims that it is the only filler that is FDA approved to last a year. Restylane® lasts about 6 months, but with one or two touchups, it can last up to 18 months. However, some patients and doctors find that results from both last for about the same duration.
- Juvéderm® has a smoother, less granular consistency because of its patented crosslinked technology. This makes administering the product a little easier to do, which improves accuracy of placement. Many injectors prefer to use Juvéderm® for delicate areas that require more precision.
- Restylane® tends to “spread out” less because of its firmer consistency. Some injectors prefer to use it for moderate to severe creases because it is thicker.
- Results are immediate with Juvéderm®, although you’ll have to wait for the common side effects of swelling and bruising to subside as well as the product to “take” completely before seeing the optimal enhancement (about two to three weeks). Results from Restylane® may take longer to appear.
- Juvéderm® offers incentives to its loyal patients, such as rebates and discounts on other Allergan products (BOTOX® and their line of breast implants).
Restylane® or Juvéderm®, the choice is really up to you.
Consult With Us
Before undergoing any Plastic Surgery Canada procedure, consult an experienced and reputable Plastic Surgeon. Book your consultation at our plastic surgery clinic in Toronto by calling (416) 256-4194 or by clicking here.Contact Us