If you’ve been to a cosmetic surgeon for a consultation and you’ve made the decision to have tummy tuck surgery, there are steps that you can start taking in order to prepare yourself for the procedure. The more prepared you are now, the less stress you will have on the day of the surgery and the more ready you will be to take proper care of yourself during your recovery. Being well-prepared in advance will not only help to give you more peace of mind, but it can also help you heal more quickly.
The following are some steps to take before your surgery:
- Talk to you doctor about losing weight and try to do so if he recommends it. To have best results, you should be as close to your ideal weight as possible.
- Quit smoking. You should be completely smoke free for at least four weeks prior to the surgery. You will also need to remain smoke free for at least two weeks after the surgery during the initial healing phase.
- Refrain from taking any blood thinning medications or supplements starting two weeks before the surgery. This includes Advil, Aspirin, fish oil and others. If you are unsure about any medications including vitamins or supplements, speak with your surgeon.
- Take any multi-vitamins or medications that are recommended by your surgeon and eat a sensible, healthy diet.
- Fill any post-surgical prescriptions ahead of time. This way you don’t have to stop and pick them up on the way home from your surgery.
- Ensure that your home is well stocked for your recovery. Have ice packs in the freezer, loose and comfortable clothing and extra pillows and a thermometer for taking your temperature. It’s also a good idea to be well-stocked in terms of groceries and toiletries since you won’t be able to drive while you are on your pain medication.
- Consider arranging for in home nursing care if you are home alone the first day after surgery (most patients stay overnight one night in the clinic or hospital).
- You may also want to arrange for help at home in the form of housecleaning or childcare since your physical activity will be severely restricted for the first week or two during your recovery.
- Your surgeon will likely give you a special compression garment to wear after your surgery, however you may want to purchase an extra one so you can wear one while the other is being washed.
- If you suspect you are coming down with any kind of illness before the surgery, such as a cold, let your surgeon know.
- If you suspect you might be pregnant, let your surgeon know.
- The night before the surgery, wash yourself with an antiseptic soap (Hibicleanse is a good one).
- On the day of your surgery remove jewellery, make-up, and nail polish. If you are going through your period at the time, use a sanitary pad rather than a tampon as tampons may cause toxic shock.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing that buttons up and doesn’t have to be pulled over your head.
- Follow any additional advice given to you by your surgeon.
Going through and recovering from any type of surgery can be a stressful process even if it is an elective procedure such as a tummy tuck. Being prepared however will give you greater confidence so you can start looking forward to the results rather than worry about whether everything is in place.
Consult With Us
Before undergoing any Plastic Surgery Canada procedure, consult an experienced and reputable Plastic Surgeon. Book your consultation at our plastic surgery clinic in Toronto by calling (416) 256-4194 or by clicking here.Contact Us