The expected recovery time after a breast augmentation procedure is greatly dependent on the skill of your surgeon and his or her ability to minimize tissue trauma. Following pre- and post-operative care instructions is also essential to ensuring a fast recovery. At Edelstein Cosmetic, our experienced surgeons use advanced tools, a bloodless breast augmentation technique, and dimensional breast augmentation as part of the Rapid Recovery method. Using these techniques, you can expect to feel less pain after surgery, and to be able to comfortably return to your regular routine within 3-4 days after the procedure.
The Stages Of Recovery
It is important to remember that every patient is unique, and that each body heals in its own time. Overall, it may take up to three to six months for your breasts to heal completely and for scar tissue to develop around the implants to keep them in place. Here is a general outline of what you can expect during the recovery timeline:
After just one day of recovery, patients are usually mobile and are able to lift objects of regular weight. At this time, pain will be managed with medication. You will experience the most swelling at about three to five days after surgery. In the first five days of recovery, it is best to avoid making sudden arm and upper body movements that may stretch your chest area. This will give your body the best chance to heal without the risk of developing complications. Most patients can expect to return to work within five to seven days after surgery. However, those who have physically demanding jobs may have to wait a little longer.
The majority of bruising and swelling should clear up after two weeks of recovery. After this time, you will be able to completely submerge your body in warm or hot water, and those who have been wearing a tensor bandage wrapped around their chests will have it removed. Patients can begin exercising at three to six weeks after surgery. It is important to begin with aerobic and lower body exercises only, and to avoid upper body workouts or exercises until after six weeks. By three to four months after surgery, breast implants will have settled into their intended positions, and will look more natural. Any feeling of tightness will lessen significantly.
Rapid Recovery Post-Surgery Care
Using Rapid Recovery breast surgery techniques ensures that our patients heal faster, and experience any pain or discomfort for a much shorter time. To make the most of our Rapid Recovery surgery methods, we ask our patients to follow simple but essential post-surgery care instructions:
– For the first eight weeks after your breast augmentation, you must wear a special post-surgery bra (or similar sports bra) day and night. You should also sleep on your back until you are comfortable enough to sleep on your side. Avoid sleeping on your front.
– You may shower after two days, but do not take a bath or go swimming until after two weeks of recovery. It is important to dry the scar areas gently but thoroughly with a towel after each shower.
– In the first five days, you should avoid lifting more than five to ten pounds of weight, and lifting your arms above shoulder height.
– You should not drink alcohol until you have finished taking your prescribed pain medication.
– Avoid exercises or activities that cause your breasts to move or bounce a lot, or that engage your chest muscles.
– Make sure to come in for follow-up appointments, so your doctor can see your progress and monitor your healing.